The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) is dedicated to protecting your personal privacy. To protect your privacy, we are providing this notice to explain our information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used.
Unless you tell us otherwise, we assume that when you provide information you are agreeing to allow us to use and disclose it as allowed by law and NSF policies and procedures to deliver the programs you are involved with and in furtherance of our mission to improve health and well-being through sleep education and advocacy. We will comply with all U.S. laws.
What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” means information that you provide to us when you use our websites, Apps, interactive tools and services. It is also information that we can use to identify or contact you.
How We Collect Personal Information
When you visit or use our websites, online sales system, online education system (whether web-based or mobile), and Apps, you might provide us with your information: contact information you knowingly choose to disclose; registration information when registering for an event, billing information when you donate, join, subscribe, make a purchase, or take an educational course; demographic or other information about you; and technical information collected by us as you interact with our websites. We may collect Personal Information in the following ways:
- When you visit or use our websites, online sales and education systems, whether web-based or mobile, we may collect your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number(s), account numbers, limited location information (for example, to help a mobile app determine the best means of connecting to the database or for shipping something you purchased), user name and password (so you can log in) and personal health information (such as within our sleeplife App);
- When you provide your payment information to us as part of a purchase or membership;
- When you visit our websites, we may capture the IP address and ID of the device you use to connect to the online service, the type of operating system and browser you use, and information about the site you came from, the parts of our online service you access, the type of mobile device you use;
- When you register for or use certain interactive tools and services, our Apps, or tools inside many of our Apps;
- When you sign-up for newsletters or other communications from us; or
- When you participate in an online survey.
Use of Personal Information
The information collected may be used by us for the purpose of providing you with the content you request, operating and improving our websites, Apps, and interactive tools and services, providing a positive user experience, and delivering the products and services that we offer. We may use your contact information in order to send you e-mail, postal mail, or other communications regarding organizational updates, such as newsletters, journals and other publications, sleep health information, event and programmatic information, and additional listings which may be of interest to you. The nature and frequency of these messages will vary depending upon the information we have about you and programmatic timing. If you do not wish to receive such communications, please contact us at email@example.com (you will still receive transactional emails, such as membership receipts and event or program-specific information for which you registered).
If in the future we intend to process your Personal Information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected, we will provide you with information on that purpose and any other relevant information including the option to opt out.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain indefinitely all the personal information we gather about visitors or subscribers as necessary to fulfill our engagement with you. We retain indefinitely certain anonymized information we gather about visitors or subscribers for the legitimate purpose of performing website and App analytics and providing use of our websites and Apps to all visitors in an efficient, practical, and relevant way.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not share or disclose your personal information to third parties except as set forth below:
- Technical information related to your personal information with web hosting and other technical service providers for the legitimate purpose of hosting our web servers and ensuring information security for our networks.
- Contact information related to your personal information with web hosting and other technical service providers for the legitimate purpose of hosting our web servers and ensuring information security for our networks.
- Contact information related to your personal information with vendors for the legitimate purpose of providing customer support and assistance.
We may share aggregated anonymous information about website visitors and App users with our partners and vendors so that they may understand the kinds of audience we have and how those visitors use our websites and Apps.
Links to Other Sites
Our websites may provide links to other websites or resources not owned by the NSF. You acknowledge and agree that NSF has no control over such sites and resources and is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Materials, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources or those sites’ data collection or privacy policies. You further acknowledge and agree that NSF shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such Materials or goods available on or through any such site or resource or those sites data collection or privacy policies.
Monitoring of Information and Cookies
We monitor customer traffic patterns and site usage to help us improve our websites, Apps and interactive tools and services. We may also use the information we collect to occasionally notify you about important changes to the websites, new services, special offers, and information we think you will find valuable. If you would rather not receive this information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All online financial transactions occur in a secure area of our site. When you make a transaction, your credit card information is encrypted before it is sent to us. NSF maintains records of transactions, but we do not retain any records of credit card information once charges have been submitted to the bank.
Protecting Personal Information
We provide reasonable technical, administrative, and physical controls to secure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of personal information. Our network is composed of access-controlled measures, security monitoring tools, vulnerability management program, and SSL encryption. When it is necessary for our service providers to have access to your information, we expect the same level of data security, integrity and confidentiality standards as NSF provides. While NSF uses its best efforts to maintain this level of security across all of our systems, we cannot guarantee or warrant that our systems or our service providers are not vulnerable to viruses, hacking or other security threats. If you have any questions about security on NSF websites, please contact us at email@example.com.
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. We adhere to the 1998 Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). For more information, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s COPPA site.
We do not send unsolicited commercial communications to individuals with whom we do not have consent/permission or a pre-existing or current relationship. NSF provides all notified recipients with a clear, easy and effective method to unsubscribe to any and all online communications.
Acceptance of These Terms
Changes to Privacy Statement